6.07 Other Ways to Share
Increasingly, funding agencies (NSF, NIH, RCUK, ERC, etc.) require grant recipients to present a data plan and to publicly share portions of their project’s data. As a LabArchives user, you have several easy – and free – ways to help you comply.
When you share notebook content, you have the option to use URL that links only to the specific content you want to share.
To obtain a Share URL for some content in your notebook, right-click that item in the Notebook Navigator and click “Share”. To share a single entry, hover your mouse over the entry and select the share icon.
On the URL to Share
As a rule, the recipient of the link will be able to navigate at that level and below in your notebook. For example, if you share a link to a folder, they would be able to access everything in that folder.
How to make a Digital Object Identifier (DOI) in LabArchives
A DOI is indexed, in perpetuity, by the International DOI Foundation, of which LabArchives is a member. While URLs may change or disappear, a DOI is a permanent way to share your data. For example, if you are publishing a paper and want to include a supplemental data set, a DOI would be the preferred method. For more information about DOI’s click here.
- To create a DOI for some content in your notebook, right-click that item in the Notebook Navigator and click “DOI”. To create a DOI for a single entry, hover your mouse over the entry, select the share icon and navigate to the “DOI Management” tab.
- To show the content of this page, folder or entry in its current state, select “This page/entry/folder as it exists now.” To share the most updated version of this content select “the most recent version of this page/entry/folder.”
- Select a Creative Commons License for your content. For more information on Creative Commons Licenses, Click Here. NOTE: Your institution may limit the Creative Commons Licenses available.
- By checking the appropriate boxes, you can allow viewers to see earlier or later versions of your data. This features provides for a “dynamic” publication of a dataset, so that a reader may first see the data as it stood at publication, but also past and future history of these data.
- You can customize the Author, Title and Publisher fields.
- When you are ready to create the DOI click “Create DOI”.
NOTE: Your institution may prevent DOI creation or require you to obtain permission to create a DOI. For more information about submitting a DOI request please see below.
- After a few moments, the screen will appear as shown below with your new DOI.
How to submit a DOI Request
- After step 5 above, you may see an alert like the one below. You can also add a note describing your DOI. The DOI granter will be added to this part of the notebook as a view only Guest.
- While the DOI is pending review you will see it listed on the DOI Management tab. You can remind the DOI Granter by clicking the resend button. You can delete the request by clicking the delete button.
- When the DOI is approved or denied you will receive a notification in the activity feed. If you have email notifications on, you will also receive an email. To view more information about the DOI
goto the DOI Management Tool. If the DOI was denied click “Show Denied DOI.” To view any notes made by the granter hover your mouse over the comment icon.